I have to admit that I haven’t really been keeping up with Five Things Friday posts for the past few months because I feel like they end up being posts about what I’m looking forward to over the weekend and then I do my weekend recaps and it feels like a lot of repetition. But over last weekend an older post popped up on my news feed about the five places that I wanted to visit in 2016 that utilized our Companion Pass.
So I thought that I’d see if I actually visited the places I wanted to this year, and where I’m looking forward to traveling to in 2017. Chris officially earned Companion Pass status again for 2017, so that means that we’ll have the opportunity to travel as much as we want again!
- Portland, Oregon– We made our first trip to the Pacific Northwest together this year, and it was to Portland! We had the best time in this quirky city, and after this trip I totally fell in love with that part of the country! I’m already wanting to go back for another visit!
- Seattle, Washington- I got my wish about visiting the PNW again when we visited Seattle this summer. Even though I thought that it couldn’t get any better than Portland, Seattle totally blew us away! The food was fantastic, and I loved getting to spend some time in the mountains. I also loved the fact that we got to spend so much time near the water too!
- Niagara Falls, New York- Unfortunately, this trip didn’t happen this year. I didn’t realize that it was going to take almost a full day to get up there as far as travel on Southwest, which is the only way that we fly in the States, and at the end of the day we just ran out of vacation days (thanks Europe trip, but you were totally worth it!). Hopefully that means that this trip will happen this year!
- Charleston, South Carolina- I visited Charleston in the beginning of the year with some of my favorite girls! We had so much fun exploring that beautiful and historic city and learning so much more about Charleston. I really fell in love with Charleston and would love to have the chance to go back for another visit!
- Albuquerque, New Mexico- This was another trip that we had planned, but unfortunately we had to change our plans earlier this year and this trip had to be canceled. I’m hoping that we’ll get to make it over to Albuquerque next year for the International Balloon Festival because it looks so beautiful!
So overall, we were 3/5 as far as checking places off our list, which I think is pretty good! We did end up visiting some new to us places through Southwest and some places not through Southwest during our Europe trip. We were also able to travel to some places that we had been before, but we explored new places in those cities which I loved!
So after looking back on our 2016 travel here are the places that I’ve never visited but would love to visit in 2017 that would utilize our Southwest Companion Pass!
- Niagara Falls, New York- Obviously this is still on the list from last year. I’m thinking that we’ll be able to make it there sometime during the Spring, and I would love to stay on the Canadian side since that’s supposed to be more beautiful. We’ll have to fly into Buffalo and then drive to Niagara Falls, so you’d better believe that some Buffalo wings will be consumed before we head back home!
- Albuquerque, New Mexico- This is another duh because we didn’t get to make it there this year. The International Balloon Festival is obviously the major reason for wanting to visit Albuquerque, and with the festival only happening for two weeks out of the year, we’ll be heading there in the end of September/beginning of October. Fingers crossed that we’ll be able to make it happen in 2017!
- Phoenix, Arizona- I might have an obsession with the desert in 2017, just to warn you! I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about Phoenix and Sedona, which is only a short 2 hour drive from Phoenix. I’d love to take a trip out there and spend some time in this beautiful part of the country that I haven’t had the time to explore.
- Salt Lake City, Utah- Chris has been talking for years about going skiing, and we’re thinking that 2017 might be the year that we actually make it happen. When we were thinking about where we could go, I started thinking about all of the commercials that I saw advertising Salt Lake City as a great ski city. It would be a perfect city to visit because it’s one that we’ve never been to together. We’d love to get a group of friends together and head up to Salt Lake City for some fun in the snow!
- Portland, Maine- If you remember from my Things I Learned post from Portland, Portland, Oregon was actually named after Portland, Maine. I think that it would be awesome to visit that quirky city’s name sake, and to see what it’s all about. From everything that I’ve seen and read about Portland, Maine, we can expect to see lots of lighthouses, eat lots of lobster and lobster rolls, and see some beautiful fall colors in the fall! I’m thinking that a trip during October would be perfect!
So obviously, this is a very short list of where I’m hoping to visit in 2017, and hopefully all of our traveling next year won’t be limited to these 5 places. My fingers are crossed that we’ll be able to make it all of these places and even more, and now I want to start planning all of the trips! Happy Friday everybody, and I hope that y’all have a great weekend! I’m linking up with The Farmer’s Wife for the Oh Hey, Friday linkup!
Are you planning any trips for next year? What’s on your short travel list for 2017?